Jay Cross
Jay Cross

New blog
Links & more



Subscribe with Bloglines
Enter your email address to subscribe to Internet Time Blog.



The Emperor's New Blogs
Saturday, January 01, 2005
When he announced that the blogging emperor had no clothes, Stuart Henschel spoke for many ur-bloggers. He simply said he was giving up on traditional blogging. He's changing, the world's changing, and blogging hasn't changed much.

I've gone through the same rebellion and rejection with eLearning. All on its lonesome, it's not enough. We do not live by bread alone, eLearning alone, or blogs alone. Nonetheless, bread, eLearning, and blogs are good things. They are even better things when you add butter, collaboration, or a two-way channel.

Unlike Stuart, I'm not about to give up on traditional blogging. I love having my own uncensored, free, immediate, global printing press, but I'm looking for other means to have dialog. The tsunami is a catalyst for these feelings. We can talk all we want, but until you start doing something, it doesn't matter. They can't eat words.

Blogging alone is a one-way conversation. You hope someone is listening and speaks up.


I plan to do a lot of writing this year, so I just reviewed and updated my writing resources page in the KnowledgeBase.


Last week I put StatCounter on Internet Time Blog. It's a free counter; you can see it at work by clicking the numeral at the bottom of this page. Anyway, what I was going to say is that StatCounter pointed to a user in the UK. I surfed to his site. The top entry dealt with the information architect of blogs, mentioning a couple of entries I'd read yesterday. To my surprise, a link to something I'd written appeared in the first comment.

Then I noticed an intriguing blogroll in the right column. Several people down the list, I ended up on Brian Alger's site. I'd been here last week, I think, but this time I noticed a reference to an information architect with whom I'd eaten dinner last night! And while it was not part of our dinner conversation, the meme she's associated with is "rescuing items from archive oblivion by overcoming the chronological bias inherent in weblogs," which is precisely what I've been doing here for the past few days.

Not that I could stop there. Links to me are as heroin to a junkie. Dave Pollard's blog is always a rewarding read. I'm a few days behind in reading blogs. His first item points to a truly amazing eagle's-eye view from a real eagle wearing a thimble-sized videocam. You simply must see this! It's a mind-blower. Look at it right away, before continuing here.

Clicking on through the blogroll, I came upon Whiskey Bar. The last post was the day after the election.
Four More Fears

This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves; finally just lay back and say it -- that we are really just a nation of 220 million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns, and no qualms at all about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

Hunter S. Thompson
Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail
November 1972
Argh. Time for a new direction.


Steven Wright: "The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning and doesn't stop until you get to work."



Easing into 2005. I just updated my Restaurants page. It's Berkeley-centric.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Us | Contact Us | Home |


Powered by Blogger

Copyright 2005, Internet Time Group, Berkeley, California