Jay Cross
Jay Cross

New blog
Links & more



Subscribe with Bloglines
Enter your email address to subscribe to Internet Time Blog.



New Orleans
Tuesday, March 01, 2005
Bon jour from the Big Easy. Training 2005 is in full swing.

You can hear me rant against the term blended on Learning Times Network.
Recording: L13 - "Panel Discussion - 2005 Trends in Blended E-Learning"

Tom Stewart, editor of Harvard Business Review and author of Intellectual Capital, knocked my sox off with a dynamite keynote presentation. He pointed out that innovative management ideas have been in short supply since the bubble/meltdown of 2000. The most popular business books are Execution and the Cheese book, both of which are more about coping that creating something new. And we really need some new thinking, for the world has changed.

As readers here have heard over and over, SPEED is the meta-challenge we face. Decision-making is being pushed to the front line of the organization and this means that more and more people need to understand the strategy (thus raising HBR circulation). I'll write up what this means -- it's pervasive -- on the plane ride home day after tomorrow.

Crawdads are in season. I'm doing my best to help the local economy. I've eaten four pounds of the little devils thus far. In fact, I've got to go right now, for the crawdads beckon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben Watson said...

Jay, I believe that you have to pay to become a member of the "Training Live & Online" LearningTimes site to be able to view your recording. It is US$349 to join:
http://www.trainingliveandonline.com/

8:35 AM  
Blogger jay said...

Whoops. You see, it's free to participants. $349 is steep, no matter how cool I am. My own mother wouldn't pay it. I'll summarize my commentary here later.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay, no need to even ask your mom to pay. Just for readers of your blog, I have posted a free copy of the WebEx recording of the panel session from the TrainingLiveandOnline.com community. The copy can now be found inside the free LearningTimes.org community. If you already have a username and password, just login here. If not, click the "join" button at the same link and set up a free account, and then visit http://home.learningtimes.net/learningtimes?go=718387 to listen/view. (You may need to install the WebEx player.) VNU Learning will be doing multi-day online conferences like the one from New Orleans to accompany its other training events throughout the year. This one was very well-received. Nearly 25 presenters interacted live online over three days with people unable to attend the annual Training conference in New Orleans. Jay, thanks for your rant :-) Ben, enjoy the playback.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Ben Watson said...

Thanks Jonathan! I look forward to listening to the interview and I'm impressed with your quick solution. I think the blending of online and face-to-face events into something like this is ideal. Then again, I'm biased towards the power of collaboration!

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Us | Contact Us | Home |


Powered by Blogger

Copyright 2005, Internet Time Group, Berkeley, California