Jay Cross
Jay Cross

New blog
Links & more



Subscribe with Bloglines
Enter your email address to subscribe to Internet Time Blog.



Life’s been good to me so far
Thursday, November 24, 2005
The old Joe Walsh song is thumping in my forebrain.

I have a mansion
Forget the price
Ain't never been there
They tell me it's nice

I live in hotels
Tear out the walls
I have accountants
Pay for it all

They say I'm crazy but I have a good time
I'm just looking for clues at the scene of the crime
Life's been good to me so far

I’ve been a little under the weather, so I’m eating light. Last night’s supper was a small shellfish salad. This morning I ordered the Japanese breakfast from room service. I've drunk three litres of San Pellegrino in the last 24 hours. And no alcohol.

Around one o’clock this afternoon, I figured I needed some sunlight, so I walked across the street to the Vasco’s, the Hilton’s beachside restaurant, thinking maybe I’d order a light salad.




The maitre d’ suggested I sit inside, as a large banquet had taken over the entire patio. I grabbed a seat in a little nook by a window. Soon a familiar fellow in a dishdasha was by my side. “Did I want to join the banquet?” I didn’t think so. He said he remembered me from the conference. I asked if he'd attended the conference. Only when Sheikh Nahayan was there. The banquet was another lunch hosted by His Excellency. Now I could see him sitting at the head of the table. They were just finishing up, but His Excellency wanted to treat me to lunch.

The Sheikh and I talked briefly as he departed. Tayeb was surprised to see me but greeted me warmly. Mustafa, the Syrian fellow I'd had lunch with at the Sheikh's came along. They were off, and food began to arrive.

My Maserati
Does one eighty-five
I lost my license
Now I don't drive

I have a limo
Ride in the back
I lock the doors
In case I'm attacked

I'm making records
My fans they can't wait
They write me letters
Tell me I'm great

So I got me an office
Gold records on the wall
ust leave a message
Maybe I'll call

Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through
(Everybody sing) I'm cool (He's cool)
I can't complain but sometimes I still do
Life's been good to me so far

A salad of radicchio, butter lettuce, arugula, prawns, and lobster chunks appeared, soon accompanied by a spicy lentil broth drizzled with crème fraishe. The main course consisted of a lamb chop, spicy chunks of hamoor (a Gulf fish), some savory camel, a great langoustine tail, and I forget what else. Desert was tiramisu with chopped nuts, its chocolate container surrounded by swirls of pistachio cream and apricot coulis. Good, strong coffee.

Now I’m going to take a nap.

I go to parties
Sometimes until four
It's hard to leave
When you can't find the door

It's tough to handle
This fortune and fame
Everybody's so different
I haven't changed

They say I'm lazy but it takes all my time
(Everybody sing) Oh yeah (Oh yeah)
I keep on going guess I'll never know why
Life's been good to me so far.
Yeah, yeah, year.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Us | Contact Us | Home |


Powered by Blogger

Copyright 2005, Internet Time Group, Berkeley, California