Jay Cross
Jay Cross

New blog
Links & more



Subscribe with Bloglines
Enter your email address to subscribe to Internet Time Blog.



Blogs, not books
Saturday, January 15, 2005
Blogs are often a better way to keep up to date with new developments than books or magazines. Blogs are fresh. They're concise. And usually they're free. For example, when it comes to knowledge management, save your Amazon budget for another topic, and read The Future of Knowledge by Dave Pollard. It packs a whole lot of sense about managing KM into 1800 words.

In the eLearning field (broadly defined), I recommend (and not necessarily in this order):

Dave Lee and I are refurbishing Learning Circuits Blog over the next month. If you have suggestions or want to contribute, drop us a line. Or course, modesty keeps me from mentioning Internet Time Blog.

To stay on top of this torrent of news, get yourself a feed-reader. Here is my Bloglines account. It uses syndication to let me read headlines (which I can drill down from) I haven't seen before. There are lots of options. I may convert to Firefox's Live Bookmarks.

The easiest way to keep up with things is through a syndication source that someone else has assembled for your use. No special software is required. Just go to Edu_RSS, hosted by Stephen Downes.

Blogging is hardly perfect, but at this moment in time, it's a great way to deliver and devour information and ideas.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephen Downes is a great resource. Glad you recommend him. NineShift

5:46 PM  
Blogger Dave Pollard said...

Some new names here for me too. Thanks for this. it's interesting that we keep lists of these on our blogrolls but it's only when we put them in the centre column that our readers pay attention.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Jay,

Thanks for the inclusion - I'll go show this to my bosses and demand a raise - I'll split whatever I get with ya! ;-)

You should also do away with the modesty as I am sure that your blog is on many more people's lists than mine.

I will offer another way to track these and other sites - Opera. Available in a free version at www.opera.com, this browser allows you to save the "session" state that you are in (read=save the windows that you have open and return to that session from a blank slate). So I have a "session" of all the e-learning sites I like to visit and when I want to read them, I pop open that session. Its a little old school, I like FF's Live Bookmarks too but I really like the ability to drill into pages, pop links to open in the background and then save that as a recoverable state.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Harold Jarche said...

Thanks Jay, and I agree with Mark - I've been reading your posts for a long time now. You're the man!

You've given me a few more to check out though :-)

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

About Us | Contact Us | Home |


Powered by Blogger

Copyright 2005, Internet Time Group, Berkeley, California